Protecting customers with the Vehicle Warranty Products Code
The Motor Ombudsman’s Vehicle Warranty Products Code sets out high standards for providers of automotive warranty and insurance products to follow. Those who commit to the Code must comply with promises surrounding advertising, point of sale obligations, clarity of information, and complaints handling.
The Motor Ombudsman is the fully impartial automotive dispute resolution body that regulates the motor industry through its comprehensive Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI)-approved Codes of Practice. The Vehicle Warranty Products Code is one of those and is fully approved under the CTSI Consumer Codes Approval scheme (CCAS).
Get the latest news from Car Care Plan sent directly to your inbox
What does the Code cover?
The Code covers a range of warranty and insurance products – including roadside assistance and MOT, tyre, alloy, key, and cosmetic insurance, among others. Car Care Plan is among those to commit to meeting the Code’s high standards, ensuring customers have access to the highest quality products matched with industry-leading customer service.
The Code provides the reassurance automotive warranty and insurance providers will:
- Advertise products honestly and ensure customers are given appropriate advice in selecting a suitable product at the point of sale
- Give clear pre-contractual information so customers can make an informed decision on the suitability of a warranty
- Give clear information on what is covered under the warranty
- Provide a cancellation period of at least 14 days
- Have a simple claims procedure in place, to fairly and promptly process customers’ claims or requests for roadside assistance.
The Code of Practice Booklet
The Motor Ombudsman has produced a comprehensive Code of Practice booklet that provides further information on what these commitments mean to consumers. Alongside more detailed descriptions of providers responsibilities under the Code, there is further advice for customers on what to do when considering the purchase of an automotive warranty or insurance product, as well as lists of applicable regulations and laws that protect their rights.
Download The Motor Industry Code of Practice for Vehicle Warranties booklet here.